11.03.2006

Running the Race Together





This morning I was Moira Kelly in The Cutting Edge as she races to the practice rink only to find that her skating partner has beat her to the punch. I arrived at the gym sometime before 6 a.m. to see my workout partner (okay, my mother-in-law) going strong on the elliptical trainer, already breaking a sweat -- aka -- I was way behind her this morning! Beyond running a little late this morning, I couldn't help but feel thankful to have a partner to greet me as I walked into the gym, sleep still crusted in my eyes.


We are going through The Blessing of Friendships in our women's Bible study right now. The first chapter teaches about our need for human relationships, dependency on others and having at least one person to whom you can bring your baggage to, open it up and sort through it all. I am reminded of the Wonder Pets' theme song, "What's gonna work? Teamwork!" Isn't that the truth? We need others to encourage us when we are down, laugh with us when we are up and be quiet with us when there is nothing left to say. We also need others to gently confront us when we have gone astray. And it isn't just one way. We should reciprocate these actions to our friends when the need appropriates it.


The apostle Paul, author of many letters in the New Testament, ran the good race. But he clearly did not run it alone. It seems he, at most times, had others around him, supporting his mission. And he, without a doubt, helped others through his teachings and admonishments to strip away their old self and instead, clothe themselves in Christ's attributes.


I couldn't make it to the gym every Monday and Friday by myself. Knowing that my mother-in-law is waking to her bleeping alarm clock just as early as I am encourages me to roll out of bed, throw on my clothes and head off to the gym. But next time I'm not going to snooze!

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I tried leaving comments this morning...I was funnier...but there was a problem with the site. Anyway, on first glance I was thinking you ran a marathon this morning and then of course had time to get back and blog about it. I'm always very encouraged by you, but somehow that wouldn't have been very encouraging....in fact going into Peter's room at 4 am in the morning sometimes feels like it is a 26.2 miles away.

I am in a women's study that just started called "women encouraging women". I also wanted to add how very encouraging you have been to me during my new motherhood. You have a very sensitive way of making me feel better, while giving me some good advice. I love you for that and always feel better having spoken to you.

Love G