11.27.2006

Change

I made a change today. Instead of putting dishes on the right side of the sink counter to dry, they now go on the left side. Okay, okay, I can hear your laughter, but this really is a matter-of-the-heart change for me. You see, a month or so ago Ryan expressed his desire to keep the right-side counter of the sink clear of dishes so that it wouldn't look cluttered. My compassion-filled heart responded (in my head, of course), "Well, he who does the dishes gets to choose. So I choose the right-side. It's what I have done for almost 2 years now." But today something was different. We decorated the house with our Christmas ornaments and items, set up Grandma's Christmas Tree for her and listened to Xmas carols most of the morning. Sometime after the decorating was finished, I decided the dishes needed to be done and just yesterday Ryan had been asking if we had a dish-drying wrack to put on the left-side of the sink. He had again expressed his desire to dry our dishes to the left of the sink. I had to do a little bit of organizing; finding a place for a basket of pens, putting away some cleaning supplies we keep to "the left," and putting the sippy cups away which have lived there for I don't know how long. But, after my heart was into the task, it was easy. I wonder how many other habits I am not kicking just because I am stubborn and don't want to change. I am sure I could list a few million. Guess I better take this change stuff one day at a time.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I think that I am the same way. I love routine, and structure....Probably why I am such a structured mother with Peter. It definitely has it's pros and cons. I often find myself a little envious of the the more layed back person.

Love G