3.02.2007

Half-a Paper Towel




My grandpa (well, he is actually Ryan's grandpa, but by default he is mine since I don't have any other grandpas), tears paper towels in half as a form of conservation. Well, this was until he could buy the nifty little half-a paper towels. Have you seen them? Maybe by accident you thought you bought the "big" towels and then you go to tear one off and realize it's a bit smaller. This is after you have already bought the economy pack, which will now last you well over a year. It used to bother me. The tearing of the paper towel, I mean. I don't know why it did. Something inside of me screamed, "But I want the whole thing! Not just half!" Sounds like good old American consumerism to me. However, after using these half-a paper towels for quite some time I started to see that they weren't so bad. And somehow a roll of the "big" towels snuck it's way into the house and I tore one off only to find myself tearing that huge towel in half! It felt too big in my hands ... like, who needs such a large towel to wipe their face off with? So thank you Grandpa for inadvertently showing me that I need to put away gold fish laying about that might grow stale, and reminding me to re-use paper plates that have only crumbs on them from a piece of toast, and most of all, that half-a paper towels are the only way to go!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

As long as I get two halves I'm ok!

mandrews said...

Hehe, my Mom buys those half-a paper towel things and they are pretty nifty; but sometimes I could really use a whole paper towel!

hestermom said...

Yes, you can actually tell what kind of day it is by how many paper towels you have to use...Many days are double digit paper towel days in our house...