1.30.2007

Crunchy Curry Chicken

Like I have admitted, I am not the best cook. I am trying to make some new dishes lately and in an attempt to do so, I picked out a recipe from my slow-cooker cookbook: Curry Chicken. And what goes better with curry chicken than fluffy white rice? After the curry chicken looked to be almost ready I started the rice. I usually make Persian white rice by adding oil and yogurt, but I was in a hurry, so it was just water and rice this time. Oh, and I cut down the amount of rice I usually use; 2 cups instead of 3. Note to self: never try to wing it unless you are a gifted, all-knowing cook. About 15 minutes later the rice looks done so I yell, "Dinner's ready!" We all serve ourselves up some rice and curry and sit to feast on the great smelling food. Ryan starts to eat his ... Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! is all I can hear. He says, "Didn't use the yogurt this time, huh?" Offended and irritated I bark back something like, "Why, what's wrong with it?" (meanwhile I haven't yet savored a bite yet). I take my first bite ... Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! Okay, if there's nothing better than fluffy white rice to accompany chicken curry than there is nothing WORSE than undercooked crunchy rice to accompany this dish too. Ahhhhhhh! After I crunched through my bite I started laughing ... "The rice isn't cooked all the way through, huh?" Ryan looks at me, we both laugh again. Note to self: next time do what works. P.S. The curry was actually pretty decent.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Wait wait wait...this isn't quite what happened. You were the first one to say, "The rice isn't as fluffy as I wanted." To which I replied, "you didn't add yogurt did you?"

Just wanted to keep things honest. :-)

mandrews said...

HAHA!!!! Amber, I have to admit I had my share of mishaps with rice. No matter what I do differently my rice always turns out bad (runny, burnt, not cooked, soggy...). As simple as rice is, it's pretty darn tough to get right (for me anyway).