3.18.2008

Don't finish the novel ...

Pastor Paul encouraged us this week "not to finish the novel." Huh? He was talking about holy week and the events leading up to Jesus' death, including the death itself. He said, "Stop! Linger, wallow and experience the crucifixion of Christ this entire week, and don't go any further until Easter morning." He argued that without meditating on what occurred before the resurrection, how can we feel the full joy of the resurrection itself? So I got out my bible yesterday morning and read Mathew's account of the events leading up to the resurrection. I am hoping to read Mark's view today and then Luke's, etc. Still, it is difficult to find that quiet time to really reflect upon this entire subject, esp. with kids running around, snacks, lunch, dinner, etc. to be prepared, dishes to be cleaned, etc. But, God knows this. He knows everything. Hey, if you get a chance, come to the labyrinth, hosted by OVCC. If it doesn't get you into the mood I am not sure what else will.

www.ovcc.org

4 comments:

mandrews said...

Amber, I am doing the same thing.

Rebecca said...

That's so true (about finding time). I get so stressed over that, like it's never enough or good enough. But you're right. God knows what's on my plate, and He was the one who put it on my plate. I need to quit worrying about it.

I also think that's an awesome idea for Easter. Recently I heard a preacher say that the most passionate worship always comes out of a close encounter with God's grace. That's a really good exercise in feeling the depths of our depravity, and the lengths God went to to deliver us from it. So cool.

Christine H. said...

I went to the labrynth tonight. I didn't even realize that the resurrection was not featured (I can't think of a better word)at the labrynth. Anyway, it was a neat--no, a different--no, a--well--an experience. Everyone should go.

frisky said...

I loved the Labrynth, it was the first time I went. I left sobbing. I've been reading the Gospels, I'm almost done with John (he's a chatty one compared to the other ones, isn't he?!) It's so hard to not "finish the novel", I told Laurisa today that I almost feel depressed. I'm really grateful to Pastor Paul to challenge us to do this. You, too, Amber, thank you for posting about doing this as well.