5.10.2007

Quotes

A friend taught me a quote the other day," My house is clean enough to be healthy but messy enough to be happy." This quote has stayed with me all week long. I am reading (or desperately trying to finish in less than a year) To love, honor and vacuum by Shela Wray Gregoire. Essentially, what I have taken away from the book so far, is that I am to look at what I have accomplished in any particular day as opposed to feeling guilty that once again the pile of clothes on the couch did not get folded and put away. So lately, when I see these messes at the end of the day, I try to ask myself a few questions ....
  • Did I play with my kids?
  • Did we have anybody over for lunch or dinner? (i.e. fellowship)
  • Did I meet up with some other moms for a park date?
  • Did I make some important phone calls?
  • Did I feed my whole family breakfast, lunch & dinner?
Essentially, I am trying to ask myself at the end of the day if I am building God's kingdom or building my own kingdom. It is all a balancing act for me. Of course the bathrooms need to be scrubbed and the laundry fairy is never going to come, so yes, all of that falls on me. BUT, should I feel guilty if I didn't accomplish my cleaning agenda for the day? If messy is happy than I am going to go with a "no" on that one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sister, Amen!
Verne :)

hestermom said...

Oh, I so agree...it is such a temptation to focus more on what is temporary (what I want to do, dishes, e-mail, laundry, and dishes again!) than what is eternal (the souls of the precious ones entrusted to us...) I have a feeling that our personalities help us with that too!

Ginger said...

Yes Yes Yes.....