5.27.2007

Memorial Day




I usually get all the 3-day weekend holidays/memorials confused. Maybe this is because I have never actually celebrated the true meaning of the day or done anything to remember those who have served and died for our country. This sounds bad, I know, but sometimes the truth isn't all that pretty. So, what's a person to do when they need to know something? Google it. So that's what I did and found out some pretty cool facts about Memorial Day:
  • First observed on May 30, 1868
  • Now celebrated on the last Monday in May in most states
  • A day to honor those who have died serving our nation
  • A National Moment of Remembrance asks us to informally observe this day in our own way at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day
Americans have opened nearly 1,000 new graves to bury U.S. troops killed in Iraq since Memorial Day a year ago. The figure is telling _ and expected to rise in coming months.
- STEVEN R. HURST , May 27, 2007


So, put your corn-on-the-cob down at 3 p.m. tomorrow and just think, for a moment, or even seconds, of the many lives lost and the many families who have been affected by those lost lives.

4 comments:

frisky said...

Ohhh, it makes my heart hurt. I have always thought about how I would feel if any of my kids entered the military. I would be so scared that something bad could happen to them, but on the other hand, I would be overcome with pride that they would want to serve our country. Thank you, Amber, for those great little facts that could've come in handy a few hours ago when one of the kids asked what "Memorial Day" was. I think I'll go get him right now!

Jennifer said...

I am especially mindful of this topic since the husband of one of my friends was deployed again today for another six months, leaving her alone with her two year old daughter. I am thankful for the work they are doing but I really pray that they will make it back home to their families.

Did you read what Memorial Day was originally called?

ATSmith said...

Yeah, Decoration Day. It has gone through many transitions ... and not all states observed the holiday in the beginning ...

Christine H. said...

Thanks for the Memorial Day facts. So, I wonder which states don't observie it, back then and now? I guess I'll have to Google that. See you tomorrow at LNO!