4.06.2008

A phone call away ...

Dropping to my knees in prayer has never been part of my life -- until now. Growing up I was always very content with "horizontal prayer," (i.e. laying in my bed, praying, sometimes dozing off). Which is still a great way to pray and makes up some of my prayer time, but, in our most recent women's bible study, Beth Moore, as crazy and wordy as she is, urged me to truly and actively Believe God, part of which (for me anyway), was getting the lowest I could and crying out to God, knowing that He hears my every cry and request.
During the study I was working through some personal dilemmas and was led to drop to my knees in prayer. I say "led" because I didn't feel like I had a choice in the matter. Now, of course, I did because of free will and all of that, but you get what I am saying.
Okay ... why, oh why am I rambling on about my praying habits? Get on with it, Amber.
Well, you see, since these "drop-on-my-knees" prayers started, I seriously feel like God is just a phone call away. I feel a real sense of relationship ... the one I always sing about but don't always feel. And I have to say that I am more than exited at this new change in my spiritual life. It, like my workout routine, often needs change and uprooting in order for further growth to occur.

5 comments:

Alexa said...

I remember one time I was driving back to Sonoma after visiting home and I was in such deep spiritual thought that I pulled over (on the I-5 freeway!) and just prayed on the side of the road because I wanted to be able to close my eyes because it made me feel closer to God. . . . it's so weird how things you would never do before feel so right all of the sudden!

Rebecca said...

I've been right there with you lately! The Beth Moore study we're doing asks you to get on your face before you do any studying at all, and surrender yourself and your time to Jesus, and ask for his change and teaching and help. It's been so different. It's amazing how the atmosphere changes when you change your posture before God.

Kari Rae Rodems said...

We have been doing the same Believing God Study and WOW. Funny note, I was at Starbucks one day and a friend said out loud (with several people near by) so have you finally started believing God? Felt a few people looking oddly at me :)(she was of course talking about the study) But I've thought about it several times since.... Amazing how often I choose to rely on myself over the amazingly indescribable one who created me.

Karen Hossink said...

I so understand you!
It is amazing how our posture changes our focus on God. I know He is no more near, no more real, and no more powerful when I am on my knees than when I am on my feet (or back/side, as the case may be). He doesn't change - we do. And I love the change in me that happens when I am on my knees, fully submitting to and trusting HIM.
I'm glad you've made this discovery!

frisky said...

I thought of this post when I was at the Beth Moore conference this last weekend. Every time Beth would start the lesson, she would get on her knees (in front of 9,000 people) and pray. It was awesome b/c it made me think of the honour that goes with prayer. Sometimes I feel really casual about prayer since I feel like I do it a lot throughout the day, but this made me really think about what it is I'm doing and WHO I am talking to.