11.16.2007

Christmas

I am usually irritated when I walk into a store just one day after our Halloween costumes have been put away and already the Christmas candy is out, along with all of the other garb that comes with holiday consumerism. Sage and Aspen, on the other hand, are just beside themselves with joy. What child wouldn't be excited? Giant candy canes? Reindeers? SANTA?? Sage will then say to me, "But Santa is just pretend, right mom?" "Right," I say. Then we usually talk about the real reason for Christmas, which then leads to some sort of discussion about baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph getting married, and usually ends with Sage wondering when she will get married and have kids. It's a very involved discussion. Then I had to ask myself: How can I be irritated with holiday consumerism which should reminds me of Jesus and the big celebration to come on December 25th? Shouldn't I be excited about Jesus' birth year-round? Heck, in front of our Von's parking lot a manger is displayed every year. Should I say, "No, sorry, it's too early to put those decorations out right now." Anyhow, this year I have really enjoyed all of the decorations being out early because it has sparked many a conversation between Sage and I regarding the real reason for the Christmas and that to me is pretty priceless.

4 comments:

Christine H. said...

Next week when my parents are here, we will exchange Christmas gifts and open them because they won't be coming back for Christmas...talk about celebrating early! Amber Shea is so excited! (So am I!!!)

mandrews said...

What a neat way to look at it Amber... I get really annoyed by the consumerism and everything else involved with Christmas, but maybe this year I will have to take a step back and not be such a Scrooge...

frisky said...

Oooh, maybe no more scroogin' for me either! Good way to look at it, Amber, 'cause I thought the same thing at first when I went in to Target right after Halloween. I was so irritated. I was like, "Hey! What about Thanksgiving?!"

Ginger said...

What a wonderful conversation to be having with Sage. I can't wait until Peter can speak of these things while we are walking and while we are sitting and when we wake up and when we go to bed.

Amen and Amen