10.09.2007

Moldy Bread

How many times have I gone to make some toast only to find that the bread was moldy? My first inclination is to be irritated because I was probably looking forward to a piece of toast and now I would have to switch to some other non-molded food. I am not quite sure who I am irritated at, though. Am I irritated with the bread? Am I irritated at the store from where I bought the bread? Maybe I should be irritated with myself for overbuying in the first place. We live in abundance. Our refrigerators can house a week's worth of food which is good, but is it? How often do I forget what is in my fridge only to find week-old leftovers stuffed in the back corner ... molded? I recently read that we should keep a log of what is in our freezers. In order to do this I had to go through my freezer ... that was interesting. So, what's in your freezer and do you have any moldy bread in your house?

5 comments:

frisky said...

Were you reading FlyLady? I get so irritated, I think with myself mostly, when food spoils or I buy the store brand only to find out that it doesn't taste anything like the original. Thank goodness we have kids that can't tell the difference (usually)! I was referring to the Nilla wafers compared to the Safeway Vanilla wafers, in case you were wondering... although there's really no comparison! Phew, glad I got all that off my chest!!

ATSmith said...

Guess I won't be buying those Nilla wafers!!

Christine H. said...

Thanks, Gina!

So, what irritates me is when milk goes bad before the expiration date and I still have half a gallon left. This has happened to me twice now, so last time I took in the empty carton (I dumped out the milk) and asked Vons for more. I even told them that I wanted two gallons because it has happened twice. And they said (not too willingly) to go get two more gallons. At $6.39 for two gallons, I want the milk to last until the expiration date!

hestermom said...

Okay, I will say, though, that if you buy bread from Trader Joe's and forget to put it in the fridge, it will probably mold in a few days, or sooner if it is summer time and really hot. I have had that happen and then I am just frustrated at myself for forgetting. Bagels, too. =)

Anonymous said...

The moldy bread at our house is usually under one of the kids' beds. They hide it everywhere, like orphans. Drives me crazy!