4.10.2007

Was lost but now I'm found




I have always loved the lyrics and melody to "Amazing Grace." And I have always sung the verse, "I was lost, but now am found," with fervor, conviction and joy. But I don't think it was until just recently that I fully understood the concept of being lost and then found.
You see, Auntie Holly bought Sage this really (really, really, really!) cute Roxy jean-jacket for no other reason than Holly being an extremely giving person and a sucker for cute girl apparel. She bought it for Sage about a year ago and it was a bit big and Sage wasn't really into jackets. But recently Sage had taken to the jacket and it was chilly enough for a month or so for her to wear it, so she did. And then just a couple of weeks ago I went in search for the jacket for Sage to wear and it was no where to be found. After calling all of the grandparents and searching every bag, corner and toy box in our house, I had almost given up. When I thought of the lost jacket I felt sad. It was a really nice jacket and Ryan and I would never spend the money to replace it (unless it was like 90% off the sale price or something). A few days past and I continued to share my agony at loosing the jacket with Ryan. Then he and Sage went camping at a local lake. While at the lake they were rummaging around the truck to find something and lo and behold what do you think they found? The jacket! Ryan called me immediately. He said, "Guess what I found?" I couldn't believe it, "No way, you found the jacket?" "Yup," he replied. Relief and joy came over me.
And as I sang this ever so familiar song on Easter Sunday I could sing it with a better understanding, having lost something and then found it just a day ago. Except it's not a thing that has been lost and found but myself; a soul, a heart, a mind. And I can't even imagine the joy God feels when another lost soul has been "found." Much more joy then that of finding a jean jacket, I am sure.

Amazing Grace

Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev’d;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ’d!

Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis’d good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call’d me here below,
Will be forever mine.

John New­ton, Ol­ney Hymns (Lon­don: W. Ol­i­ver, 1779)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I had to come back and say that now Amazing Grace has been stuck in my head since reading this... not a bad song to have repeating over and over and over, but still. I blame you. :)