12.11.2006

Hunger, Part 1

I am seriously questioning what it means to be hungry. A few weeks ago I set out to eat just what I needed to eat. I followed the pyramid, passed on taking second helpings and traded vegetables for starchy snacks (and this is big since I don't really eat vegetables). I was definitely eating enough and yet I felt hungry most of the time (except for when I had the flu, of course. That helped, I guess). So then I started thinking, what does it mean to "feel" hungry. Do I know real hunger? Is this how I am suppose to feel all the time? Hungry? I haven't quite figured this all out, as you see. However, I am beginning to think that my understanding of hunger is way off. I don't even know when part 2 of this discussion will happen, but I thought I would throw this hunger stuff out there since it is something I am struggling through. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I am wondering what kind of "hunger" you are talking about. Are you referring to a spiritual hunger or a physical hunger. I don't really know what to say about the spiritual hunger as it is something I have been struggling with also, but as far as the physical hunger part I might be able to help you out. This sounds stupid and Ryan will make fun of me for it, but go to Oprah.com and watch the show on Dr. Oz's Healthy Holiday Secrets. It was a great episode and totally legit.

Ginger said...

A couple of thoughts.....Firstly I think that a breastfeeding mother feels hunger more intensly and also is less able to maintain sustained hunger. I think God does this so that we do not go without eating for too long which will effect our breastmilk supply...I also think that a breastfeeding mother needs to maintain a certain amount of body fat that we "teter" girls are not accustomed to. A girlfriend of mine was just talking about this in reference to her three pregnancies and her breastfeeding years, almost 6 years total.

Just a little side note too...Didn't you just totally deplete your body during your bought with the flu? This may have something to do with your more than usual hunger pangs.

Anyway,,,,from experience with veggies as snacks the following holds true:

22 baby carrots = one cookie
1 Stalk celery = one cookie
2 glasses of water = one cookie

eventually your hunger subsides becuase you get a little bored with eating so much and your body regulates itself. It takes about two weeks for your tastebuds to stop screaming out for a cookie.

Love Ginger